Monday, May 31, 2010

Canadian HOUSE & HOME July 2010 - The Carter Farm

Now this is something that I've really, really been waiting for.  For the past 1 1/2 years I've been harassing poor Catherine MacIntosh at Canadian House and Home to try to grant me the prestigious posting of "Artist's File" within the magazine.  It is a feature that is not run every month, so you can well imagine that the competition for it is furious.


Late last spring when my parents were in the final stages of building their brand new farmhouse in Hockley Valley (one hour north of Toronto) I started thinking that CDN House and Home just HAD to use this place as one of their featured homes.  The magazine agreed with my idea and the farm was shot by Michael Graydon on September 1, 2009.  The issue hits newstands on June 7, 2010 but if you have a subscription, you may have seen it already.  We had the opportunity to have the article written by a very gifted writer, Trish Snyder.  Trish interviewed my parents and myself in order to get a feel for the home and the art within it.  I can't imagine a task as daunting as Trish's writing that article--sooo much information thrown at you all at once.  Her take on the farm was absolutely perfect and we couldn't be happier with her "story".

The farm is truly a magical place.  I really can't describe how tranquil and surreal it is.  After 20 years of fighting traffic en route to Muskoka, most of our family was ready for a big change.  Mum and Dad purchased a 100 acre parcel of property just north of Caledon and went to town.  The existing fly-ridden 125 year old farmhouse was gutted and redone and is now used to accommodate all the "kids" and 7 grandkids.  Mum and Dad have built a beautiful ranch-style farmhouse for themselves which overlooks...Tuscany?  How is that possible in Ontario?  I don't get it either...but you'd have to see the view to really believe it.  Here is the article:


















Meg Crossley, the senior editor who attended the photo shoot along with photographer Michael Graydon, mentioned during the shoot that an even better way to gain exposure within the magazine is to be shown on the actual walls of a featured home.  Bing, bang, boom--whatever...this is my big shot!  Thankfully my parents are very enamored of my art and have commissioned several large pieces from me for their farm.  The work stands out so well against the starkness of the glistening white everywhere--I am very fortunate to be able to "show" my own work within their masterpiece.  Here are the paintings that Mum and Dad have at the farm:


The Garden
2008
acrylic on canvas
60"w x 48"h


Black and White Squares (#1)
acrylic on canvas
2008
60"w x 48"h


Bedtime Squares
acrylic on canvas
60"w x 36"h
2008


When You Are Old
2009
acrylic on canvas
24"w x 48"h

I can't wait to spend a ton of time at the "farm" this summer.  Wish you were there...

xx
Justine

No comments:

Post a Comment